NatureServe is a non-profit conservation
Global ranks indicate the rarity of a species at a
global scale. Species may be fairly common globally but imperiled
locally. Global ranks have the following meaning:
- G1 - Critically Imperiled - At very high risk of extinction
due to extreme rarity (often 5 or fewer populations), very steep
declines, or other factors.
- G2 - Imperiled - At high risk of extinction due to very
restricted range, very few populations (often 20 or fewer),
steep declines, or other factors.
- G3 - Vulnerable - At moderate risk of extinction due to a
restricted range, relatively few populations (often 80 or
fewer), recent and widespread declines, or other factors.
- G4 - Apparently Secure - Uncommon but not rare; some cause
for long-term concern due to declines or other factors.
- G5 - Secure - Common; widespread and abundant.
- * ? or Q = status unknown or uncertain