Inductive Bible Study Steps
STEP VIII: CHARTING YOUR PATH
The Eight Step of Inductive Bible Study is,
“WRITE IT DOWN!”
Study with a Pen and Notebook
“Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?” (Matt. 16:24-26)
This is the step where you keep track of what you learn. By writing it down in an organized fashion, God’s Word will become more clear and crisp. We are able to record what God says to us, this way we will be able to take more ownership and then greater transformation. Then can look back and see God at work in our lives and this will be a great encouragement in times of struggle, and in times of joy. Plus, now you have notes to refer back to and even teach from!
· You will be amazed how your thoughts will disentangle themselves and become more clarified passing through the fingertips onto a piece of paper.
· See our charts or do your own. Address the paragraph with questions such as: Who? Where? When? What? Why? What does it say about God? About myself? Any example to follow? Error to avoid? Duty to perform? Promise to receive? Prayer to offer?
Then, write your reflections in first person singular.
· This step is where you write down what you learn from the previous steps.
· It will allow you to see a whole book at a glance.
· It will allow you to reach and remember what you learn much, much faster and better.
· It will reveal the theme of a chapter paragraph just at a glance.
A book chart will help you greatly!
THIS CHART IS IN FOUR (4) SECTIONS
· 1st Column: “Chapter and Paragraph titles.”
This is where you can summarize chapters and whole books in your own words or paraphrase a verse(s). You can create an outline of the passage by making your own titles for paragraphs and insights. STEPS I and II come into play here!
· 2nd Column: “OBSERVATION: What does it say?”
This is where you use STEP III, and write your observations.
· 3rd Column: “OBSERVATION: What does it mean?”
This is where you use STEPS IV & V.
· 4th Column: “APPLICATION: How does it apply to my life?”
This is where we use Steps VI.
Remember to Pray! Be continuously in prayer as you read His Word.
Don’t hesitate to record other useful information, especially your prayers!
· Study the chapters and paragraphs first!
· Then write your outline, you can do this by assigning names for the paragraphs. Use steps I through VI.
Condensed from the book, "Into Thy Word"
© 1979, 1998, R. J. Krejcir Ph.D. Into Thy Word Ministries www.intothyword.org
|Taken from: Inductive Bible Study Steps|