by William R. Shepherd
● Physical Map of Europe, Western Asia and Northern Africa [p.2-3]
● Mycenean Greece and the Orient about 1450 B.C. [p.4]
● Mycenean Greece and the Orient about 1450 B.C. [p.4]
Inset: Reference Map of the Nile Delta.
● The Assyrian Empire and the Region about the Eastern Mediterranean, 750-625 B.C. [p.5]
● Reference Map of Ancient Palestine [p.6-7]
Insets: Plan of Jerusalem. Dominions of David and Solomon (1025-953 B.C.).
Palestine under the later Kings (953-722 B.C.).
Palestine under Joshua and the Judges (1250-1125 B.C.).
● The Oriental Empires about 600 B.C. [p.8]
● The Persian Empire about 500 B.C. [p.8]
● The Beginnings of Historic Greece 700 B.C.-600 B.C. [p.8]
● Vicinity of Troy. The Shores of the Propontis. Plan of Olympia. [p.9]
● Reference Map of Ancient Greece. Northern Part. [p.10-11]
● Greek and Phoenician Settlements in the Mediterranean Basin, about 550 B.C. [p.12]
● Greece at the Time of the War with Persia, 500-479 B.C. [p.13]
● The Athenian Empire at its Height (about 450 B.C.). [p.13]
● Reference Map of Ancient Greece. Southern Part. [p.14-15]
● Reference Map of Attica. Plan of Thermopylae, 480 B.C. [p.16]
Inset: Harbors of Athens
● Greece at the Beginning of the Peloponnesian War (431 B.C.). [p.17]
● Greece under Theban Headship (362 B.C.). [p.17]
● The Macedonian Empire, 336-323 B.C. [p.18-19]
Insets: The Aetolian and Achaian Leagues.
Plan of Tyre.
● Kingdoms of the Diadochi [p.18-19]
After the Battle of Ipsus (301 B.C.).
At the Beginning of the Struggle with Rome (about 200 B.C.).
● Reference Map of Asia Minor under the Greeks and Romans [p.20]
● Plan of Imperial Rome [p.22-23]
● Plan of Athens [p.23]
Inset: Plan of the Acropolis of Athens.
● Plan of Republican Rome [p.23]
● Plan of the Roman Forum and its Vicinity at the Time of the Republic [p.24]
● Plan of the Imperial Forums and their Vicinity [p.24]
● Reference Map of Ancient Italy. Northern Part. [p.26-27]
● The Growth of Roman Power in Italy [p.29]
● Reference Map of Ancient Italy. Southern Part [p.30-31]
Insets: Vicinity of Naples.
Plan of Syracuse.
● Rome and Carthage at the Beginning of the Second Punic War, 218 B.C. [p.32]
● The Growth of Roman Power in Asia Minor [p.33]
I, after the Treaty of Apamea, 188 B.C.;
II, before the outbreak of the Mithradatic Wars, 90 B.C.;
III, as organized by Pompey, 63 B.C.
● Territorial Expansion of Rome [p.34-35]
Insets: Plan of Carthage.
Vicinity of Rome.
Plan of Alexandria.
● Reference Map of the European Provinces of the Roman Empire [p.38-39]
Insets: Gaul in the Time of Caesar.
The Rhine Country in Roman Times.
Country about the Lower Danube in Roman Times.
● Germanic Migrations and Conquests, 150-1066 [p.45]
● Development of Christianity to 1300 [p.46-47]
● The Roman and Hunnic Empires about 450 [p.48]
● Physical Map of the British Isles [p.49]
● The Germanic Kingdoms and the East Roman Empire in 486 [p.50]
● Roman Britain About 410. [p.51]
● Settlements of Angles, Saxons and Jutes in Britain about 600 [p.51]
● The Germanic Kingdoms and the East Roman Empire in 526 [p.52]
● Europe and the East Roman Empire, 533-600 [p.52]
● The Califate in 750 [p.53]
● Growth of Frankish Power, 481-814 [p.53]
● The Carolingian and Byzantine Empires and the Califate about 814 [p.54-55]
Inset: Northern Austrasia about 814.
● Disruption of the Carolingian Empire, 843-888 [p.56]
● The Peoples of Europe about 900 [p.57]
● Europe and the Byzantine Empire about 1000 [p.58-59]
● The British Isles about 802 [p.60]
● England after 886 (99K) [p.60]
● The Shires of England in the Tenth Century (99K) [p.60]
● France about 1035 [p.61]
● Central Europe, 919-1125 [p.62-63]
● Italy about 1050 [p.64]
Inset: The Patrimony of St. Peter.
● Dominions of Cnut, 1014-1035 [p.64]
● Dominions of William the Conqueror about 1087 [p.65]
● Europe and the Mediterranean Lands about 1097 [p.66-67]
Inset: Europe and the Mediterranean Lands by Religions about 1097.
● Asia Minor and the States of the Crusaders in Syria, about 1140 [p.68]
Insets: Palestine. Plan of Jerusalem about 1187.
● France, 1154-1184 [p.69]
Inset: Domain, Fiefs and Suzerains of the Count of Champagne in the
● Europe and the Mediterranean Lands about 1190 [p.70-71]
Inset: Guelf, Hohenstaufen and Ascanian Domains in Germany about 1176.
● The Holy Roman Empire under the Hohenstaufen, 1138-1254 [p.72]
● The Mediterranean Lands after 1204 [p.73]
● The British Isles about 1300 [p.74]
● Plan of London about 1300 [p.75]
● Vicinity of London, 1200-1600 [p.75]
● France in 1328 [p.76]
Inset: The Chief Wool-raising Districts of England and Wool-manufacturing
Towns of Flanders, Artois and Brabant.
● Europe in 1360 [p.77]
● Central Europe in 1378 [p.78-79]
Inset: Dominions of Ottocar of Bohemia.
● Spread of German Settlements to the Eastward, 800-1400 [p.80]
Inset: The March of Lusatia.
● The Great Schism, 1378-1417 [p.81]
● France in 1453 [p.81]
● Spain, 910-1492 [p.82-83]
Spain in 910.
Spain in 1037.
Spain in 1150.
● England and France, 1455-1494 [p.84]
● Decline of the March of Brandenburg under the Houses of Wittelsbach and Luxemburg, 1320-1415 [p.85]
● The Wettin Lands, 1221-1485 [p.85]
Inset: Temporary break-up of the Wettin Lands about 1300.
● Central Europe about 1477 [p.86-87]
● Decline of German Power in the Baltic Region, 1380-1560 [p.88]
● The Byzantine Empire in 1265 [p.89]
The Byzantine Empire, 1265-1355.
The Byzantine Empire in 1265.
● The Byzantine Empire and the Ottoman Turks in 1355 [p.89]
The Byzantine Empire, 1265-1355.
The Byzantine Empire and the Ottoman Turks in 1355.
● Italy about 1494 [p.90]
Insets: The Milanese under the Visconti, 1339-1402.
The Republic of Florence, 1300-1494.
● The Swiss Confederation, 1291-1513 [p.91]
● The Mongol Dominions, 1300-1405 [p.92]
● The Ottoman Empire, 1451-1481. Constantinople [p.93]
● Ecclesiastical Map of Western Europe in the Middle Ages [p.94-95]
Inset: Vicinity of Naples.
● Plan of Rome in the Middle Ages [p.96]
● The Roman Suburbicarian (Cardinal) Bishoprics about the 12th Century [p.96]
● Ecclesiastical Map of the British Isles in the Middle Ages [p.97]
● Mediaeval Commerce (Europe) [p.98-99]
Hanseatic League in Northern Germany.
● Mediaeval Universities [p.100]
● Rural Deaneries [p.100]
Part of the bishopric of Winchester showing rural deaneries and
religious houses during the Middle Ages.
● Ground Plan of a Monastery (St.Gall, Switzerland) [p.101]
● Mediaeval Commerce (Asia) [p.102-103]
● Plan of a Mediaeval Manor [p.104]
● The West Indies and Central America, 1492-1525 [p.105]
Inset: Watling's Island.
● The Conquest of Mexico, 1519 - 1521 [p.106]
● The Age of discovery 1340-1600 [p.107-108]
● The Conquest of Peru, 1531 - 1533 [p.111]
● The Portuguese Colonial Dominions in India and the Malay Archipelago, 1498-1580 [p.112]
● The Imperial Circles about 1512 [p.113]
● Central Europe about 1547 [p.114-115]
Insets: Principality of Orange.
Wettin Lands, 1485-1554.
● The Religious Situation in Europe about 1560 [p.116]
The Religious Situation in Central Europe about 1560.
The Religious Situation in Europe about 1560.
● The Netherlands 1559-1609 [p.117]
● Europe about 1560 [p.118-119]
● The Religious Situation in Central Europe about 1618 [p.120]
● Sweden about 1658 [p.120]
● Principal Seats of War in Europe, I. 1618-1660 [p.121]
● Treaty of the Pyrenees 1659 [p.121]
Treaty Adjustments, 1648-1660.
Treaty of Pyrenees, 1659;
Peace of Roeskilde-Oliva, 1658, 1660
● Treaty of Westphalia 1648 [p.121]
Treaty Adjustments, 1648-1660.
Treaty of Westphalia 1648.
● Central Europe about 1648 [p.122-123]
● The Ottoman Empire, 1481-1683 [p.124]
● Principal Seats of War in Europe, II. 1672-1699 [p.125]
● Treaty Adjustments, 1668-1699 [p.125]
Treaties of Aix-la-Chapelle, Nimwegen, St. Germain, Ryswick, Carlowitz.
● Extension of the French Frontiers, 1601-1766 [p.126]
● The British Isles, 1603-1688 [p.127]
● The Spread of Colonization, 1600-1700 [p.128]
Insets: Partition of Guiana and the West Indies.
The Establishment of Dutch Power in the Malay Archipelago, 1602-1641.
● Principal Seats of War in Europe, III. 1700-1721 [p.129]
● Europe about 1740 [p.130-131]
Inset: The Growth of Savoy, 1418-1748.
● Principal Seats of War, IV. 1740-1763 [p.132]
● Treaty Adjustments, 1713-1763 [p.133]
Treaties of Utrecht, Rastatt, Baden, Stockholm, Frederiksborg, Nystad,
Passarowitz, Vienna, Belgrade, Breslau, Dresden, Aix-la-Chapelle, Paris,
Insets: Acadia and Newfoundland.
Eastern North America.
● Central Europe about 1786 [p.134-135]
● The Struggle for Colonial Dominion, 1700-1763 [p.136]
Insets: The West Indies, 1700-1763.
Cook's Voyages in the Southern Pacific.
● India, 1700-1792 [p.137]
● The Growth of Russia in Europe, 1300-1796 [p.138-139]
● Typical German States Before and since the French Revolution: I. Baden [p.142]
Insets: The County of Sponheim.
Lordship of Gravenstein.
Baden since 1801.
● Typical German States Before and since the French Revolution: II. Wurtemberg [p.143]
Insets: County of Horburg and Lordship of Reichenweier.
Principality-County of Montbeliard.
Wurtemberg since 1495.
● France in 1789:
The "Gouvernements"The Generalities or Intendancies
The Salt TaxLaws and Courts[p.146-147]
● Ecclesiastical Map of France, 1789 and 1802 [p.148]
● France in 1791 [p.148]
● Plans of Paris and Versailles [p.149]
● Napoleon's Campaign in Egypt, 1798 [p.150]
● Northern Italy, 1796 (for the campaigns of 1796-1805) [p.150]
● Germany and Italy in 1803 [p.151]
● Germany and Italy in 1806 [p.151]
● Treaty Adjustments, 1801-1812 [p.152]
● Principal Seats of War, V. 1788-1815 [p.153]
Insets: India. Egypt.
Napoleon's Campaign in Russia, 1812.
● Central Europe in 1812 [p.154-155]
Inset: Europe in 1812.
● Plan of the Battle of Waterloo [p.156]
● Plan of the Waterloo Campaign, June 16-18, 1815 [p.156]
● Treaty adjustments, 1814,1815 [p.157]
Inset: Fortresses along the French Frontier.
● Central Europe, 1815-1866 [p.158-159]
● The Unification of Germany, 1815-1871 [p.160]
I. Rise of the German "Zollverein" (Customs-Union) up to 1834.
II. The German "Zollverein" (Customs-Union) after 1834.
● The Unification of Germany, 1815-1871 [p.161]
III. The North German Federation and the German Empire 1866-1871.
● The Unification of Italy, 1815-1870 [p.161]
● Industrial England since 1750 [p.162]
● England and Wales in 1832 [p.163]
● Dismemberment of the Ottoman Empire since 1683 [p.164]
Insets: Southwestern Crimea, 1854.
Plan of Sevastopol, 1854-1855.
● Distibution of Races in the Balkan Peninsula and Asia Minor [p.165]
● Europe, 1871-1914 [p.166-167]
● Distribution of Races in Former Austria-Hungary [p.168]
● Europe in 1924 [p.168B-168C]
● The Growth of European and Japanese Dominions in Asia since 1801 [p.170-171]
Inset: Vicinity of Peking.
● Australia and New Zealand, 1788-1911 [p.172]
● The Partition of Africa [p.174-175]
Insets: The Suez Canal and Lower Egypt.
The Boer Republics till 1902.
● Distribution of the Principal European Languages in 1914 [p.176]
● Distribution of Europeans, Chinese, Japanese and Negroes [p.177]
● Colonies, Dependencies and Trade Routes [p.179-182]
● Localities in Western Europe connected with American History [p.184]
● Localities in England connected with American History [p.185]
● Physical Map of North America [p.186-187]
● The Indians in the United States [p.188]
● Reference Map of the New England Colonies, 1607-1760 [p.189]
Insets: Rhode Island.
Vicinity of Boston.
Vicinity of New York.
● European Exploration and Settlement in the United States, 1513-1776 [p.190-191]
Inset: Principal English Grants, 1606-1665.
● Reference Map of the Middle Colonies, 1607-1760 [p.192]
Inset: Settlements on the Delaware River.
● Reference Map of the Southern Colonies, 1607-1760 [p.193]
Insets: Settlements on the James River.
The Georgian Coast.
● The British Colonies in North America, 1763-1775 [p.194]
Inset: Middle Colonies.
● Campaigns of the American Revolution, 1775-1781 [p.195]
Inset: The West and South, 1778-1781.
● The United States, 1783-1803 [p.196]
Insets: The State of Franklin, 1784-1788.
Early distribution of the Public Lands (Ohio).
● Territorial Expansion of the United States since 1803 [p.198-199]
Insets: Alaska. Hawaii. Guam. Samoa Islands.
Wake Island. Midway Island. Porto Rico.
The Philippine Islands.
● Campaigns of the War of 1812 [p.200]
Campaigns of the War of 1812.
Vicinity of Washington in 1814.
● Campaigns of the Mexican War, 1846-1847 [p.201]
Inset: Route from Vera Cruz to Mexico.
● The Organization of Territories in the United States since 1803 (1MB) [p.202-203]
IV. Since 1855.
● Slavery and the Staple Agricultural Products in the Southern States, 1790-1860 [p.204]
● Slavery and Emancipation in the United States, 1777-1865 [p.206-207]
Inset: The Region South of the Great Lakes.
● Seat of the Civil War, 1861-1865 [p.208]
Inset: Vicinity of Gettysburg.
● Westward Development of the United States [p.210-211]
● Canada and Newfoundland [p.212]
Inset: The Arbitration Boundary between Canada and Alaska.
● Mexico, Central America and the West Indies [p.213]
Inset: Central Mexico.
● South America [p.214-215]
Inset: South America about 1790.
● The Panama Canal [p.216]
The Canal Zone.
Profile of the Canal.
Download this Table & all Maps in a 77 MB