The Sibylline Oracles
CONTENTS OF BOOK VI.
Preexistence, incarnation, and baptism of the Son of God, 1-9. His teaching and his miracles, 10-25. Miseries in store for the guilty land, 26-32. The blessed cross, 33-36.
The great Son of the Immortal famed in song
[1. This book is scarcely entitled to a place among the Sibylline Oracles, or to be called a book. It is a brief hymn in honor of Christ and the cross, and probably of later date than any other portion of the present collection.
2-4. Comp. John xvii, 5.
9. Comp. Matt. iii, 16.
10. Pure flower.--Cited by Lactantius, Div. Inst., iv, 13 [L., G, 486], and comp. Isa, xi, 1, 2, where the Septuagint reads blossom.
16. Tread.--See Matt. xlv, 25.
16-19. Cited by Lactantius, Div. Inst., iv, 15 [L., 6, 494].]
20 When the house of David shall bring forth a child;
[20. Child.--Or a plant; a shoot. Comp. Isa. xi, 1.
23. Comp. Gen. ii, 21-23.
26. Sodomitic land.--Judea, so called on account of her wickedness. Comp. Isa. i, 10; Ezek. xvi, 48,49.
27-31. Cited by Lactantius, Div. Inst., iv, 18 [L., 6, 507].
33. Cited by Sozomen, Hist. Eccl., ii, 1 [G., 67, 933].]
* Apocrypha - (from the Greek word απόκρυφα meaning "those having been hidden away") are texts of uncertain authenticity or writings where the authorship is questioned. These texts may have been used in some churches by were never considered as part of the Bible
** Pseudepigrapha = (from Greek pseudes = "false", "epigraphe" = "inscription") are texts falsely attributed to biblical characters or times. These books were never part of the Bible & were never considered as scripture by the church at any time despite being published under such titles of "The Lost Books of the Bible" or "The Hidden Gospels". The church has always known about them & they were never "Hidden" & could be read at any University or college. There is no deep dark secret here, just publishers trying to make a buck with interesting book titles.
*** Noncanonical Literature = Never part of the Canon or Bible.