Smith's Bible Dictionary
(an oak, strength).
1. The son and successor of Baasha, king of Israel.1Ki_16:8-10. His reign lasted for a little more than a year; compare 1Ki_16:8 with 1Ki_16:10. (B.C. 928-7). He was killed, while drunk, by Zimri, in the house of his steward, Azra, who was probably a confederate in the plot.
2. Father of Hoshea, the last king of Israel.2Ki_15:30; 2Ki_17:1. (B.C. 729 or before).
3. One of the dukes of Edom.Gen_36:41; 1Ch_1:52.
4. Shimei ben-Elah was Solomon's commissariat officer in Benjamin.1Ki_4:18. (B.C. 1013).
5. A son of Caleb, the son of Jephuneh.1Ch_4:15. (B.C. 1450).
6. Son of Uzzi, a Benjamite,1Ch_9:8, and one of the chiefs of the tribe, at the settlement of the country. (B.C. 536).
|Taken from: Smith's Bible Dictionary by Dr. William Smith (1884)|