|John - jon
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
The name of several persons mentioned in the Apocrypha:
(1) Father of Mattathias, grandfather of Judas Maccabeus and his brothers (1 Macc 2:1).
(2) Eldest son of Mattathias, surnamed GADDIS (which see).
(3) Father of Eupolemus, one of the envoys sent to Rome by Judas Maccabeus (1 Macc 8:17; 2 Macc 4:11).
(4) John Hyrcanus, “a valiant man,” son of Simon, and nephew of Judas Maccabeus (1 Macc 13:53; 16:1). See ASMONEANS; MACCABEES.
(5) One of the envoys sent to treat with Lysias (2 Macc 11:17).
Taken from: International Standard Bible Encyclopedia by James Orr, M.A., D.D., General Editor