- jesh´-ū́-a; je-shū´-a
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia
“Yahweh is deliverance” or “opulence”; compare JOSHUA):
(1) The King James Version “Jeshuah,” head of the 9th course of priests, and possibly of “the house of Jeshua” (1Ch_24:11; Ezr_2:36; Neh_7:39).
(2) A Levite of Hezekiah's time (2Ch_31:15).
(3) Son of Jozadak = Joshua the high priest (Ezr_2:2; Ezr_3:2, Ezr_3:8; Ezr_4:3; Ezr_5:2; Ezr_10:18; Neh_7:7; Neh_12:1, Neh_12:7, Neh_12:10, Neh_12:26); see JOSHUA (4) = “Jesus” (1 Esdras 5:48 and Sirach 49:12).
(4) A man of Pahath-moab, some of whose descendants returned from Babylon to Jerusalem with Zerubbabel (Ezr_2:6; Neh_7:11) = “Jesus” (1 Esdras 5:48).
(5) Head of a Levitical house which had oversight of the workmen in the temple (Ezr_2:40; Ezr_3:9; Neh_7:43). He is mentioned again in Neh_8:7 as taking part in explaining the Torah to the people, in Neh_9:4 f (compare Neh_12:8) as leading in the worship, and in Neh_10:9 (Hebrew 10) as sealing the covenant; this Jeshua is called son of Azaniah (Neh_10:9). To these references should be added probably Neh_12:24, where commentators read, “Jeshua, Binnui, Kadmiel” for “Jeshua the son of Kadmiel.” Perhaps Jozabad (Ezr_8:33) is a “son” of this same Jeshua; compare Ezr_8:33 = 1 Esdras 8:63, where the King James Version is “Jesu,” the Revised Version (British and American) “Jesus.” He is the same as Jessue (the King James Version), Jesus (Revised Version) (1 Esdras 5:26).
(6) Father of Ezer, a repairer of the wall (Neh_3:19).
(7) JOSHUA, son of Nun (Neh_8:17) (which see).
Taken from: International Standard Bible Encyclopedia by James Orr, M.A., D.D., General Editor