Wiley, Samuel T., ed. Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia
of Cambria County, Pennsylvania. Philadelphia: Union
Publishing Co., 1896, p. 54-5
CAPTAIN GEORGE B.
RICHARDS, a farmer of Reade township, this county, is a
son of George and Charlotta (Bellman) Richards, and
was born at Allegheny Ore bank, Huntingdon county, now Blair
county, Pennsylvania, March 13, 1838.
Richards, was a native of England, and emigrated to
America about 1830 or 1831, and located at Carthouse,
Clearfield county, Pennsylvania. While in his own country he
learned the trade of a stone-mason, and acquired
considerable knowledge of mineralogy, and followed this
pursuit as a means of gaining a livelihood of his adopted
county. From here he removed to Allegheny Ore Bank for a
short time, and then located at Coalport, Clearfield county.
His residence here was not permanent, and he soon returned
to Allegheny Ore Bank. He finally located at Lloydsville, at
that time called Richards Coal bank, this county, where he
died in October, 1846.
He was a member of
the old line Whig party, and took a normal interest in all
political affairs. In religious faith he was an ardent
member of the Lutheran Church.
His marriage with
Charlotta Bellman, a daughter of Jacob Bellman,
of Tioga county, Pennsylvania, resulted in the birth of
seven children, three sons and four daughters: Mary Ann,
deceased, who was the wife of Jacob Burgo; John,
a veterinary surgeon of Blair county, Pennsylvania;
George B.; Sarah Jane, the
wife of James Bowman, a blacksmith, of Allmansville,
Clearfield county; Hannah, deceased, who
was the wife of Perrie Harkins; Malinda,
deceased, who was the wife of Isaac Haines, and
Emanuel, of Madera, Clearfield county.
Richards was educated in the common schools of Cambria
and Blair counties, and, prior to the Civil War, earned a
comfortable living as a day laborer. When the crisis of
civil war threatened the dismemberment of our Union, he was
one of the first 75,000 volunteers to respond to
President Lincoln's call for troops. April 21, 1861, he
enlisted in company "D," Fourteenth regiment, Pennsylvania
Militia infantry, and served four months. September 14,
1861, he re-enlisted in company "D," Fifty-third regiment,
Pennsylvania infantry, and was appointed first corporal, but
was soon raised to the rank of sergeant, and again first
sergeant. He received his discharge in December, 1863, and
re-enlisted the same month in his former company, where he
was promoted to the office of first lieutenant. His career
was one of advancement; his services in behalf of his
country received due recognition, and he was again promoted;
this time he was raised to the rank of captain. His regiment
belonged to the Army of the Potomac, and in all the
engagements in which he participated the only injury he
received was while at Savage Station; he suffered a
sunstroke, which impaired his left elbow, and rendered him a
cripple for life.
his discharge from the military service, July 10, 1865, he
purchased a farm in Reade township, this county, on which he
located in August, 1865, where he has since been actively
engaged in agricultural pursuits.
He is a member of
David Truxel Post, 421, G. A. R., at Glasgow, a member of
Washington Camp, No. 56, P. O. S. of A., of Glasgow, and of
the agricultural order of the Grange at Mount Pleasant,
Clearfield county, Pennsylvania. In politics he affiliates
with the Republican party, and has filled some of the local
His marriage with
Susan E. Beers, a daughter of John Beers, a
carpenter and farmer (who served as a volunteer in the war
with Mexico), of near Fallen Timbers, this county, was
celebrated March 30, 1865.